SeekOn Site Listing Request Instructions
Locality Pages: SeekOn has pages for more than 15,000 cities and towns in the U.S., Canada, and the Caribbean. SeekOn especially endeavors to provide services for smaller towns and smaller web sites that are under-supported by the major directories and other venues. SeekOn has been operating since 1999.
FREE SeekOn site listings on locality pages may be obtained by submitting your site to Open Directory in the appropriate locality. SeekOn periodically updates site listings with Open Directory data.
You may also purchase site listings on locality pages directly from SeekOn. The cost is $10.00 annually for listing a single site URL on up to five SeekOn locality pages for nearby towns. Purchasers are given a customer ID number with which to add listings or modify existing listings.
Advantages of purchased SeekOn site listings:
- The same site may be listed in up to four additional nearby towns.
- SeekOn response time is typically much faster than Open Directory.
- Purchased listings are displayed above those obtained from Open Directory.
If you would like to purchase a listing on a SeekOn locality page for your site please follow these instructions.
Purchase a customer ID number: Get ID. Be sure to record the CID number!
If you want to renew an existing CID and associated listings: Renew ID.
Use the "suggest a site" link on the bottom of the SeekOn locality page on which you would like the site listing to appear. Requests for new SeekOn site listings are reviewed by SeekOn reviewers and not all sites are accepted for listing on SeekOn. SeekOn users agree to the SeekOn Terms of Service. SeekOn locality "pages" for larger towns may have sub-pages for categories like "Restaurants", "Services", "Entertainment", "Real Estate", etc. The user can suggest a category for the listing. However we only accept a single URL once per locality. If your motel has a restaurant and you want to list it separately, the restaurant needs its own URL.
During the submission process the SeekOn robot will visit your site to verify certain site information as described here.
SeekOn reviewers consider that their function is to determine if a submission is appropriate for the suggested SeekOn page. We think the site owner is in the best position to describe his or her own site and therefore do not edit the submitted title and description. However we will decline a submission for having a poor or inappropriate submitted title or description. Site owners should therefore spend some time writing these items, which can also be used for submitting to other directories such as Open Directory, and for inserting in page title and description tags.
- Sites submitted to SeekOn locality pages should be for activities located in or particularly concerning the specific locality.
- The title should include the name of the business or activity: "Ferguson Flower Shop"
- The description should contain some reference to location: "...located in Maryville's Grundoon Mall."
- Sites submitted to a locality page should have an "about" or "contact" page specifying an address in or near the locality if not present on the home page. The same site can be submitted to the SeekOn pages of several nearby towns.
Do not simply put lists of keywords in the title or description. Do not use excessive capitalization. The title and description should read well. Needless to say, the submitted title and description should correspond well with the actual site content.
- Sites that are "under construction" are not accepted.
- The URL given in the submission should be the actual URL of the page. Redirecting URLs are not accepted.
- Sites containing pornographic adult content or other content widely considered objectionable are not accepted.
- SeekOn's robot will contact the site to verify that the page exists, and does not contain a no-index tag or offensive content prior to submitting your request to a reviewer. If you think there has been an improper automated rejection please contact SeekOn.
- Sites should not employ obnoxious features such as pop-up ads or code that disables the "back" button.
- Avoid special characters that might not display well on some browsers.
- We do not accept the same site URL more than once in the same locality (e.g. under hotels and nightlife).
- Existing listings can be modified by resubmitting the same URL to the same SeekOn locality page(s) with a new title and/or description using your existing CID number.
Most Common Reasons for Listing Rejection:
Keyword duplication: Novice web site developers frequently believe the false rumor that search engines like keyword duplication and submit listings like:
Crownsville Motel - Motel in Crownsville, Maryland, Crownsville motel. Visit the Crownsville Motel in beautiful Crownsville. Motels in Crownsville.
Bates Motel - New contemporary inn in downtown Crownsville - near Fairgrounds and Renaissance Festival with on-site restaurant and sports bar.
We do not want excessive keywords and uninformative listings on our site. What you do on your site is up to you.
No Local Interest: Do not submit an activity located in one town to the SeekOn page for another remotely located town even though you think the folks in Chicago might be interested in a Miami hotel. The Chicago people know to look on the Miami SeekOn page if they are interested in something in Miami. We do accept listings for activities in nearby towns.
We do not accept listings for sites that do not have a published-on-the-site local address (home page, about page, or contact page) in or near the subject town. You cannot pretend to be a local activity while hiding your location. Exceptions are made for sites with clearly local interest content.
Poor Writing: Don't expect us to accept a randomly truncated part of a description you wrote for something else. The description needs to be in good English and fit within the 200 character maximum length.
General Directory: SeekOn has a limited general subject directory (Arts, Society, Health, Computers, Business, Recreation). This directory is intended to provide information of plausible interest to residents and visitors in North America and therefore complement the locality pages. Sites in this directory are taken from the Open Directory. New general interest sites are currently not being directly accepted by SeekOn but can be submitted to the appropriate section in Open Directory.
Questions about purchased listings: Contact us regarding questions about a purchased listing. Please include your customer ID number.
NOTE: SeekOn does NOT accept site listing requests by email, only via the site listing request forms.
Copyright © 2015 Azinet LLC